Another Great Weekend!!
I cut the pvc for the drain line and then spent a lot of time cleaning lava rocks and Hydroton.
If anyone hasn't told you yet, I will! What a pain in the butt to clean! The lava rock is the absolute worse! There is a lot of powdery stuff in it that wants to "muck" together like cement.when wet. After washing and draining it about 4 times, there still is quite a bit of muck in it. Perhaps I just got a couple of bad bags...I don't know. The hydroton was much easier to clean and much more friendlier on the hands! I filled the cooler with water and swished the hydroton around a bit, drained, and repeated. Make sure to put a small screen in front of the drain so the pellets don't clog it.
Testing the system before everything is locked down. The pipes filling the beds are not complete yet. I want them to go into the media to help prevent algae. The drain pipes seemed to work quite well! In the end, there will be 6 grow beds.
The bell siphons will be modified a bit. I need to get some 3in pvc to use as the guard so the media wont get sucked up in the siphon. I had this size on hand and it works...but, just not happy with it...takes up too much space.
So, at the end of the day, this is what I have. The line to feed the water to the beds is not going to stay the way you see it now. I was just testing the bilge pump to make sure it would pump up as high as I needed it. It will be powered by solar and the test was just hooked up to a battery charger.
If you notice, I did away with the whole brick idea inside of the green house. I tried and tried and tried to level the area where it sits. I just couldn't get it right. By the time my husband felt sorry for me and tried to help, I told him that only the sides needed to be level......the middle will be the pea gravel I didn't want to pay for! Grrrrr! I must say, though....I think I like this better!
Until next time, happy gardening!!!