Friday, January 7, 2011

While waiting for the weather to cooperate....

There is a chance of flurries tonight progressing until Monday.  Because of the weather, I decided to make a trip to Lowes Home Improvement and even some of the Family dollar type places to check out prices on some supplies I can't come up with here at home (free).  I've been pricing totes for grow beds and after seeing the prices, I am going to see if I have any friends that have totes in decent shape, but throughout the years have lost the lids to them and just want to toss them my way.  I'm wishing I would have saved my old totes in the past...the lids seem to be the first thing to get damaged on them and kinda like tupperware, when you loose or damage the lid, the container seems to move further and further to the back of the cabinet until you finally throw out the old to make room for the new.  In the plumbing section of Lowes I got many strange looks.  Is it really that odd to see a 40+ yr. old woman sitting on the floor trying to put together pvc elbows, T's, and adapters?  I have an idea in my head and I can't describe what I want to do in words.  I am visual.  I must play to see. One employee was very helpful, though...he just laughed and said to holler if I need any help and to be careful not to trip any fellow customers.

So, in the end, I didn't purchase any pvc that I was playing with.  (I was good and picked up after myself and put everything back in the right places,) but I did purchase some lava rocks.   I know, I've read about the pros and cons of using it, but, I am working on a limited budget and they are fairly cheap.  I figure I will use them for the bottom most layers of the grow beds and 3inches or so of the clay pellets/hydroton on top of it.

Well, this is it for tonight!  Hoping for a change of weather to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment